Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Interview Wednesdays: RockKnitMomMe

Hello everyone! Happy Interview Wednesday! This is Nicole back for another creative interview with a lovely member of the SactoMetro Etsy Street Team.
{Do remember, if you're a member of the team that has not yet submitted your interview, please visit this post.
}

Today, we're going on a trip into the creative life of Rebecca from RockKnitMomMe. Let's take a look at Rebecca's rockin' knits!

Tell us a bit about yourself.


My name is Rebecca Detrick – my shop name is RockKnitMomMe, which kinda describes my life over the past ten years. I am located in Davis.

I am a self-proclaimed artsy/musical person who enjoys any kind of hand work (ie: knitting, crocheting, sad attempts at sewing, playing piano, guitar, gardening ...).




When you aren’t crafting, what else are you up to?


When I'm not crafting, I am taking care of the crazy children and lovely husband. I have a 6 year old son, and 2 daughters, aged 3.5 and 2. In the evenings and on some weekends I work at Mishka's – a local coffee shop and I sell Pampered Chef on the side.


What first inspired you to become a crafter/artisan?


I've actually been crocheting since I was 4 – I think my mom was tired of making barbie clothes and so she taught my sister and I to do it ourselves – from there came many a crocheted blanket for any and every baby that came into contact with our family. I've been knitting for about 10 years now, managed a yarn store and then owned my own for a while. So I guess craftiness has just always been a part of my life.





Describe your creative process. What do you do to get inspired? How 
do you make your pieces, when do you work on them, what materials do 
you use?


Yikes, it feels likes such a loaded question. Inspiration just sort of happens with me – I can be inspired by just the yarn on the shelves of the store (or my closet), or an overcast day where the sun is making beautiful colors along the clouds, or my kids just laughing and playing. I use mainly wool and cotton yarns unless the acrylic is soft enough to fool my fingers into loving it, and I love different textures whether they be in the yarns themselves or the patterns that I'm making.



What handmade possession do you most cherish?


My canisters and coffee mugs – my Mom is a ceramicist and painter and I just love that she put the work into making them for me and personalized each one with a message on the underside along with her signature.




Name your top 3 books, movies, musical groups and websites.

Books: (top 3 of today, they do change pretty often)

1. Anna Karenina
2. The Chronicles of Narnia (I only read through them pretty recently and I just loved the stories and the vivid descriptions)
3. Jane Eyre (I know I know, I actually claimed to hate this book until this month my book club decided to read it. I thought I had read it in High School and apparently not because the story was completely new to me. I loved the way she just assumes you know french and that you've read all the classics she just throws in references to.)

Movies: (maybe not perfect favorites, but at least good fall-backs)

1. Clueless
2. Pride and Prejudice (the 6 hour BBC version with Colin Firth)
3. Love Actually



Musical Groups


Hm. I'm kind of an eclectic music listener – I like anything that doesn't have too much Rap.
Currently, with kiddos around so much, we listen to a lot of “Ralph's World” which is quite entertaining and if you're a parent and have not heard the Coffee song, you should find it and listen to it. Also, my two girls have decided that they are ballerina's, so there has been a lot of classical music blasting for them to dance around the living room to.

Websites:

I tend to just check my email a lot and play on Facebook and Etsy. Pretty boring I know, but it keeps me entertained.

I have about 4 blogs I read too:


French Press Knits

Knitting Kninja
Yarn Harlot
YarnStorm





What piece of Etsy advice can you give your fellow team members that 
has been most helpful to you so far?


I am so new to Etsy that I don't really have advice yet – I did link my page directly to facebook right off the bat and had a lot of orders from friends and family, but I think they're a little bias....

How do you promote your Etsy shop/products?


Still working on that too – I plan to start blogging on projects as I'm making them, and I have plans for a website as soon as my computer programmer husband has time to get it going for me...

What is your ultimate goal with your Etsy shop(s)/crafting/artwork?


To have a place to list my items and refer people to when they ask if I ever make things to sell. Also, I'd like to get my knitting patterns out there for sale as I get them written up – I have about 3 in the works.



Where can we find you online?


Knitter's Playground (my blog)
Facebook
Etsy


Thanks so much for sharing with us Rebecca! And thanks to all you lovely readers! Until next week!

2 comments:

Malea said...

Oh my goodness! Is that little girl yours? She is precious! We have very similar movie tastes. Jane Eyre is on my reading list but I'm now reading Wuthering Heights which I thought I'd read but hadn't! Once I got past the first several pages, I began to love it!

Trucdart said...

She is adorable! Very nice to read about you, and welcome to the group!

Post a Comment