Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Interview Wednesdays: EmKay Designs

Hello everybody! It's Nicole from Blue Bicicletta back with another SactoMetro Etsy Team member interview! {Please don't forget---if you haven't submitted your interview, do it now by checking out this post! }

Today we get to peek into the world of jewelry-maker Maggie from the shop EmKay Designs. Hold on to your hats!


Tell us a bit about yourself.


Hi. My name is Maggie and my shop is EmKay Designs. The name is the phonetic spelling of mine and my daughter’s first name initials. I live in Fair Oaks and have lived in this great state for most of my life.





When you aren't crafting, what else are you up to?

In my spare time, I love to read. Sometimes, I have more than one book going at once.

What first inspired you to become a crafter/artisan?

My aunt taught me to crochet at a very young age and I can’t remember not crafting in some form. Crocheting, knitting, decoupage, macramé, sewing, embroidery, etc. For me, it was learning how to do something that intrigued me the most.




Describe your creative process. What do you do to get inspired? How do you make your pieces, when do you work on them, what materials do you use?

My creative process changes all the time. Sometimes, colors inspire me, sometimes it’s the materials themselves. A lot of times, I’ll have an idea, get all my materials together, then run out of steam. The materials I like to work with the most are crystals, semi-precious stones and pearls….love pearls.

What handmade possession do you most cherish?


I have several embroidered pieces made by my grandmother and mother. The workmanship is just beautiful.



Name your top 3 books.

I can’t restrict myself to just three favorite books, but anything by Jane Austen I read over and
over.

What piece of Etsy advice can you give to your fellow team members that has been most helpful to you so far?


Hang in there.



How do you promote your Etsy shop/products?


I get most of my sales via word of mouth. Esty is a great resource to refer people to.

What is your ultimate goal with your Etsy shop/crafting/artwork?


To sell more!


Where can we find you online?


Etsy Shop


Facebook Fan Page


Thanks so much for sharing your creative life with us Maggie, and thanks to all of you for reading! See you next week!

4 comments:

Trucdart said...

I love your photos and your jewelry, Maggie. You do such a great job. Thanks for posting this as always, Nicole! Oh and Maggie they announced that they are eventually going to let people change their shop names in the future, so you might be able to get it to say "EmKayDesigns" instead of MChristo later on. :)

Marianne

Unknown said...

I love Jane Austen too!! Beatiful Pieces!! :)

Malea said...

The Crocheted Madness is AWESOME!!! Gorgeous work, gorgeous photos!

Unknown said...

I love the crocheted madness earrings too!

Post a Comment